Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fever by Lauren DeStephano Review

 

I finally got this book from the library.  I wanted to read it because my Young Adult Book Club picked Wither a few months ago and I am tired of not finishing series.  So I am making more of an effort to finish them.  Here is the goodreads description:



Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind. Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness. The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary. In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

I liked this book. I thought it was a good follow up to Wither. The book kept moving along nicely. New characters, new environments. I love the covers for these two books (Wither and Fever)which is what drew me to these books in the first place.  One thing I like about Fever is that it answers a lot of questions I had from Wither.  My book club discussed all the issues with Wither here if you want to read more about what other people though.  I had such issues with how Rhine talked to Linden and wouldn't tell him what's really going on and she finally does in this book.  THANK YOU!

Spoiler to come:  One thing I didn't like about this book was that we journey all the way to NY and finally get there and then at the end of the book BOOM we are back in the mansion!  WHAT!!! That made it seem like to me that whole journey in this book was a waste of time.  I also feel like I still haven't been able to really get to know Gabriel.  His character really falls flat to me.  I just don't really like him yet.  I love the housemaster though.. Vaughn.  He is a great villain! End spoilers

After reading this book I will for sure move onto book 3. I want to know what happens at the end of Rhine's journey and what happens to the world! Looks like the next book is called Sever and doesn't come out for a whole year!!  Maybe for once in my life I can get my hands on an ARC!!  I can always dream!!

Here is my review of Wither .
Here is my review of Sever.






4 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't decided if I want to read Fever yet. I only liked Wither and I think it might be one of those series that I have to give up. There are so many other series that I LOVE! Thanks for sharing your review :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. They end up back at the mansion?! Ugh I hate when story lines do this but I am glad I know now so I won't be as disappointed when I read the actual book. I am sad to hear that we don't learn any more about Gabriel, I liked him in Wither and thought he had potential so it would have been nice for him to gain more depth in this book since he and Rhine are travelling together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did u read Sever yet? I am reading it now and am feeling a little let down. Its good, but IDK. Something is..missing. Its wrapping up QUICKLY and NEATLY. For ALL of the hoopla its odd to see it all nice and neat.
    I never did find out why the world was in disarray either. It seems almost dystopian the way they speak about the world being all torn up, but was there a major war? Environmental disaster? I cant remember..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read Sever... I forgot to link up the review. The book never really says what happened to the world or where this virus comes from. I am a little disappointed in that.

      Delete