Thursday, June 5, 2014

Comic Adventures Issue #12


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I discuss The Flash Vol 3 Gorilla Warfare, Suicide Squad Vol 2 Basilisk Rising, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Volume 1 DC, and finally Fables Witches Vol. 14.

I don't know why I am still reading The Flash comics.  I just don't enjoy them that much.  I can't stand Gorilla Grodd's plot line (the villain).  I just don't care for it at all... it is like a chore to get through.  I have always thought that the illustrations in the Flash comics is neat though.  I like how the words are spelled out in big letters with illustrations inside them.  The illustrations also do a good job of making people inside the comic look like they really are moving fast. The end of this volume did get a little better.  I am hoping that Grodd is now out of the comic and we don't have to read about him anymore. 2 out of 5




I have been reading the Suicide Squad series since I really enjoy the Harley Quinn story line. She is barely in this one though and that was disappointing.  This book has the team learning that there is a traitor among them.  There is a crossover here with The Resurrection Man comic which my library doesn't have, not that I had planned on reading it anyways.  We do get to learn more about Amanda Waller and why she began the Suicide Squad, which I found interesting.  I just hope that the next volume has more Harley Quinn in it. 3 out of 5




When I heard that there was a comic for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe by DC I was floored.  I love He-Man and She-Ra.  Always have.  So I couldn't wait to get my hands on this comic. I was able to find it at my library too.  I really enjoyed it.  Most of the comic is about He-Man trying to get his memory back.  Skeletor stole it from him and his crew.  He man did act a little goofy and some of the things he said in the comic was hilarious.  I do wish we could've seen more of Adam as He-Man but that doesn't happen till the end of the comic.  So I am sure in the next volume he will take more of his He-Man role.  It will be super fun if She-Ra enters the comics at some point too.  5 out of 5



I love the Fables comic series.  Now this is some good stuff!  I had put it aside and starting reading the spinoff Jack of Fables because I thought I needed to read that series to get what is going on in the Fables series since they did have a cross-over in volume 13.  But Jack's series isn't that good to me.  So I picked Fables back up and am glad I did.  I loved this volume.  It's all about the witches, which finally progresses the main story line. I loved seeing Bufkin the flying monkey take charge in this issue and become the badass he really is.  Seriously if you are looking for a great comic book series, maybe have never read one before, this is one to pick up.  5 out of 5







Well that's it for comics this time around... can't wait to read what comics come into the library next!!

I am now up to 50 books towards my Graphic Novel Reading Challenge!

Bout of Books

5 comments:

  1. Ah, He-Man... when I was a kid I don't think I knew anyone the same age as me who didn't enjoy the animated TV series. The comic you reviewed sounds cool. Seems like it has a modern twist to the storyline. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I need to grab both Suicide Squad (<3 Harley) and Fables - looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Only two books away from making your goal in the Graphic Novel Challenge. That's awesome.

    Bummer about the Flash books, I have been anxious to read them. I am however excited to see DC do He-Man. I loved him as a child. I'm just worried that I might find it really goofy as an adult.

    I always look forward to your comic Adventures posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! He-man is really good... well to me it is. I have volume 2 sitting right here waiting for me to pick it up and begin it. The Flash books are ... well I don't know. It's just not a superhero I love, like Spiderman. Though in the new Xmen movie there is a character who is just like the Flash. It gave me hope for the new Flash series on CW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the Flash series. The costume looks a little goofy with all that leather look to it, but I hope it's good. I loved the campy one from the late 80's early 90's. I'm really excited for the flash movie whenever that happens. I heard Geoff Johns is writing the script for it. That should be amazing with the right actor.

    ReplyDelete