Monday, June 2, 2014

Dust An Elysian Tail- Video Game Review


 

 It's been a long time since I played what is considered an "arcade game."  Arcade games are quit different now then when I was younger. I downloaded Dust An Elysian Tail on Xbox Live and loved every minute of it.  This game is hand drawn (which never happens anymore) and is beautiful.  The game has exploration, combat and a fun and great story.  While playing you have characters that pop onto the screen to talk to you (looks like this:)


Personally I thought some of the dialog was quite hilarious.  For example... the animal you see above some people kept calling a cat and she kept telling everyone that she is a nimbat.  It was pretty funny. I loved the environment of the game.  The weather kept changing.. snow... wind.. rain.. sun.  Amazing. Attacks in the game are chained together similar to the fighting style in God of War games.  I was even able to hit the 1000 hits and get the achievement for that.


Dust is the main character and his sidekick is Fidget. I will say that the bosses in the game are pretty easy.  Except the last boss... man did that fight last forever!! I didn't even stalk up on health because the other bosses were so easy. I loved the side quests.... there is one where you find some sheep and when you find the first one you pick it up and it disappears.  The Fidget says to you .. "did you just put that sheep in your pocket"????  Made me laugh.


There are great puzzles and you even get to collect items and forge armor, rings, necklaces, etc similar to a larger RPG game.  All in all I was really surprised as how fun the game was. I really have been enjoying indie games lately.  I suppose I am just tired of the same games over and over.  Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mario.  The problem though is that those games sell.  People like what the know and keep buying them.  I give this game 8.5 out of 10.


8 comments:

  1. There definitely can be some good indie games out there. I still haven't beat any of my newest games, since finishing The Unfinished Swan, which I loved. I did manage to get my hands on a $12 copy of Batman Origins, which we'd been waiting for to be cheap, since we heard bad reviews of it, but still want it because we love the series. It should get here soon. Can't wait to play it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like fun! I love puzzle games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks really stunning! I couldn't tell you the last arcade game I played either, but this looks fun for a rainy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love Batman video games. I seriously can't wait for Arkham Knight. Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this game. It was free for a little while on Xbox Live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun... and such a great change to the term arcade games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to see the love for this game! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really really had fun with it. Such beautiful graphics.

    ReplyDelete