Friday, September 25, 2015

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie Review

Title: Murder on the Orient Express
Author: Agatha Christie
Pages: 347
Published: June 4th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers
(first published 1933)
Source: eaudio library
Links: goodreads

"The murderer is with us - on the train now..." Just after midnight, the famous Orient Express is stopped in its tracks by a snowdrift. By morning, the millionaire Samuel Ratchett lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. One of his fellow passengers must be the murderer. Isolated by the storm and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must find the killer amongst a dozen of the dead man's enemies, before the murderer decides to strike again...
It's that time of year. The time of year I go on another super long road trip and force myself to listen to audio books. This year though I changed it up. I usually pick really long audio books. Ones that I know are big chunkers and are going to take like 35 hours to listen to. I was actually going to do that on this trip too but Outlander wasn't available at my library to listen to on audio (I'm surprised). So I started looking through the audios available and picked this one. I have no idea why.. it just looked good. I have never read an Agatha Christie book and thought I might as well check it out. I liked that this was a shorter audio book.  I felt great that I was able to finish a book in one day.  My road trip usually ends up being about 36 hours by the time I get back home.  So finishing one book a day I think is a pretty good thing.

The whole book pretty much takes place on a train.  So we get to meet all the characters who are suspects in a murder that also happens on the train.  This is apparently book 10 in the Hercule Poirot mystery series.  I didn't know this when I started and I could kind of tell that the book was assuming we had already been introduced to Poirot before but really this didn't make the book a bad book.  I am kind of glad I didn't know it was apart of a long series because I might not have read it then.  I like to read series in order.  I do think the ending of this book was.. well impossible to guess.  I could be wrong but really I just feel like no one would guess it.  I just want to discuss this book with people in real life!  Murder on the Orient Express would be a neat book club pick.

I can't wait to read another mystery from Christie but this time in print form. I just want to see if it's easier to figure out who did it.  I of course put the movie based off the book on hold at the library.  I was sad to see it wasn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime for watching but I suppose that's because it's an older movie.  I also am going to check out the Poirot series from 2012 that was on PBS because one of the episodes is based off this book.  So fun!

5 stars

This counts for one book for the event R.I.P!  Click on the button for more info!
Bout of Books

ripnineperilthird

No comments:

Post a Comment