Monday, March 14, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #37


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Star Wars Marvel: Princess Leia vol. 1,  Thor Vol. 1:  Goddess of Thunder,  Batman:  The Battle for the Cowl,  and  Batman and Robin vol 5 The Big Burn.  


So... I have been quite interested in reading these comics. I recently read Vader and really enjoyed that comic.  Princess Leia has been one of my ALL time favorite ladies since I was a little girl.  My mom loved Star Wars so of course I was introduced to Star Wars at a young age.  I just loved Leia.  Her whole look and personality.  This comic series follows Princess Leia on her solo adventure after a New Hope. Leia heads out in the galaxy to find the other Alderaans that are still remaining after Leia's home planet was destroyed.  Honestly... I found this comic a little boring.   We get to see Leia trying to be the Queen she needs to be now that her parents are gone. But otherwise just chasing around Alderaans who don't even want to go with her to find a new home is just flat. There was no villain unless you count the people who don't want to go with Leia anywhere. There is a nod to the prequels in this book which is a NO... well I try to pretend those movies didn't happen.   I loved the artwork, I thought that made up for the boring plot line.  Hopefully vol. 2 is better (if there is going to be one) 
2 out of 5


With the new launch of a few titles over at Marvel, I've been able to begin reading some of their series.  I love how they are really really mixing things up.  Like Thor being a female. I thought this revamp was going to start from scratch with her, but the comic actually continues on from some sort of story line with Thor where he isn't able to lift the hammer anymore.  So we read a few pages about some sort of battle that happened but no real information on why he can't pick up the hammer.  That was a little annoying.  This woman (whose identity is hidden) suddenly ends up on the moon where Thor's hammer is and is able to pick it up. We don't know how she ends up on the moon (another mystery).  Then we go on Lady Thor's first adventure with the Frost Giants.  Thor shows up and tries to get the hammer back from her and it is kind of funny.  There is humor in this comic and I loved it. She isn't actually called Lady Thor in the book.  She is going just by Thor and Thor (the original) is now going by Odinson. I don't know... she just needs a name. I don't read a lot of Marvel so I don't even have a guess as to who this new Thor is.  But I am excited to find out.
5 out of 5 


Frankly I really enjoyed this comic.  I hadn't read it before (it was published in 2009) and am glad I got a chance to.  We recently bought the movie Bad Blood from Best Buy (it's an animated DC movie).  Whenever we buy the DC animated films we always try to get them from Best Buy because they typically have a special edition just for Best Buy that comes with a mini-figurine.  This particular movie also came with a graphic novel, Battle for the Cowl.  In the comic Batman is dead.. though it's not revealed how (in other comics I assume).  So there is kind of a battle on who will become the Batman. There is a "bad" Batman running around town and Dick Grayson and Tim Drake fight over what to do about it. All the Robins are together in this comic, I love to see it when the Batman family is together.  There are a couple of random stories at the end of the comic which confused me a little... I hate when side stories are thrown in. The movie is quite good.  It follows the comic pretty well but does throw in more about what happens to Batman before he "dies" and then after. If you haven't started watching the DC line of animated movies that come out I would recommend it.  Your library should probably get copies in.
5 out of 5





So... I recently read Batman and Robin volumes 7 and got to trying to remember volumes 5 and 6. I went back to Goodreads to see what I rated them and I couldn't tell if I had read volume 5. The reviews on it were so good that I thought I should get it from the library and see if I did read it or not.  I hadn't read it previously and I am glad I went back and read it.  Fabulous! There is no Batman and Robin story till the very end (spoiler: Damien dies in vol. 4).  There is a great story about Two Face in this comic.  It was kind of Harvey Dent's origin story in the New 52. I am still confused why the hell this was in a Batman and Robin comic.  Did they feel like they just needed to squeeze a Two Face story in somewhere???  The art work is good.. though on one of the panel's Two Face's scars are on the wrong side.  Though he was in water so maybe it was a reflection??  Confused. In one part of the comic Harvey Dent calls Batman Bruce.  If this is the first time Two Face is introduced in the New 52, then how did he know Batman was Bruce?  This is never told to us.  Well it was still an enjoyable comic.
5 out of 5




This counts for 17 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.





No comments:

Post a Comment