Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Timeline by Peter Goes - Review

Title: Timeline
Author: Peter Goes
Pages: 80
Published: January 1, 2016 by Gecko Press
Source: Library
Links: goodreads,

From the Big Bang to the present day, illustrated scenes tell the history of our planet in one continuous story. A perfect introduction to history for young and old, this illustrated journey through our world’s culture and events travels from the Big Bang to the iPod and into the future. This is a trip through time, past dinosaurs, Vikings, Aztecs and spaceships. It looks at wars and disasters; introduces artists, explorers and leaders; shows us living in castles, yurts and skyscrapers. And it does not neglect the imagination—here too are dragons, mythical figures and TV characters, alongside world-changing inventions borne from the imaginations of scientists and explorers. Each scene puts global events in perspective, in space and time.
Every now and then I check out a book from the library that I've never heard of. My library updates it's "on order" list once a week and I glance through all the books.  If a title or cover looks neat I'll check it out and see if the book is interesting.  This was one of those books that I took a chance on that was super neat. What's also great is that this book matches up the reading challenge I am doing this month for the #weirdathon.  I like books with formats I may have never seen before.  This book illustrates history with a few captions on the pages. Of course... this doesn't cover all the history of the time periods but tries to capture some of the bigger events. I read it cover to cover.


Close up of a section of the above picture

The pages will show either a century, an empire, a decade, ext. I really enjoyed looking at the decades closer to my lifetime trying to spot if I remember those events.  I think this would be a fun book for a child.. though they might not be able to follow exactly what's going on in the history of the world.   The book starts with the big bang and ends in the 2010s.  The sections talk about governments at the time, pop culture, wars, climate, and technology.


Close up of a section of the above picture
This is a wonderful book for all ages.  If you look at the above close up picture you can see how the illustrator mixed in Martin Luther King, Jr, Woodstock and protesters of the Vietnam War all mixed into one group.  Just fantastic.   When reading the book... it made me wonder what will come next in the world.  What will the next century bring?  What will be important enough to draw on the pages.  The illustrations are all connected in the middle of the pages where all the black flows together through the entire book.


This is book one for me for the month of the #weirdathon.  Can't wait to read more.  Do you have any suggestions for a fun/weird formatted book???  Let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment