Friday, May 27, 2016

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Title: Through the Woods
Author: Emily Carroll
Pages: 208
Published: July 15th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: library
Links: goodreads




'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.' Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss. These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll. Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...
I heard about this book way back when it first came out but for some odd reason my library hadn't ordered it until recently. This is a fantastic graphic novel.  So spooky. Basically it is filled with five different short stories, very similar to In a Dark Dark Room.   The artwork is phenomenal as well. It goes perfectly with each story bringing them to life. The book is unsettling, creepy and just what I love.


You can read this book pretty much in one sitting.  All the stories do end in an open ending kind of way, very much like Stephen King's books.  I don't mind this in horror, though I'm not sure every story needed to end like that.  You will be a bit confused by some of the stories but that is what makes it even more creepy. I always like to find a book that is unique... unlike a book I've read before.  I read a lot of comics/graphic novels and this is unlike anything I've read.

I would do a little synopsis of each story but I feel like that will just give them away.  You should go into the book without any knowledge of the stories to make them more creepy. All the tales happen in the woods which if you've ever been camping ... then you know the woods are pretty scary at night. I looked through the author's bio and I'm not sure if she has anymore books coming out?  I am hoping to see another graphic novel from her soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment