Friday, October 7, 2016

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

Title: Heir of Fire
Author:  Sarah J Maas
Pages: 565
Published: September 2nd 2014 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: Ebook
Links: goodreads,  Sarah J Maas


Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed? The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Times best-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.
I really love this series. I like that this book, the third book in the series, was able to add more characters. Of course when you add more characters the ones you have grown to love get less page time.  There were times in this book I thought should've been less wordy.  This caused the pacing to be off a little.  I was happy that this book traveled a little more throughout the world Maas has created.  We get to read about where the Fae live.  Plus Celaena's magic gets tested and finally advances.  That did take a while to get going in the story but I really love how Celaena's story is turning out.  Also.. what do I call the lead female character now?  Celaena?  Aelin? I'm confused.

So Manon is a witch and a new character in this book.  I really enjoyed her chapters.  I love a villain. Even though I think she is going to become a good person in future books from some foreshadowing. Dorian has a new love interest.  I didn't think there was enough time to really love her.  Rowan was a new character that we get to read a lot about.  I loved him.  He starts out so mysterious and then comes around to being a character that I really looked forward to reading about. I want to learn more about his history.

This book does remind me of a second book syndrome book. The ones where you spend a lot of time getting to places in the plot.  Basically Celaena is trying to find her magic, and trying to get to the places she needs to go.  The book really isn't moving the plot along much.  There is a lot of back story revealed which helps the reader understand Celaena more.

I still really enjoy this book despite the slower pace.  I'm looking forward to starting book 4.  I also noticed that there is now a coloring book!  Must check that out.

Reviews of other books in the series:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

No comments:

Post a Comment