Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Comic Adventures Issue #53


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about The Dark Knight ReturnsSuperman/Wonder Woman Vol. 5, Olympians: Artemis, and Harley Quinn Vol. 4.


I wanted to love The Dark Knight Returns.  I've heard so much about how iconic this comic is and that it is THE must read Batman comic.  I just couldn't get into it.  I struggled through the whole book.  I never felt like there was ever really apart of the story that sucked me in.  The artwork is a mess.  The panels on the pages it just messy.  So many images stuffed onto one page. There are a few really good illustrations of Batman (including the iconic image of him with lightning in the background) but those are few.  I do understand the importance of this comic though.  I didn't read comics when this came out (1986). Before this comic came out Batman was all colorful and a goofy character.  Not a man to be scared of or an antihero.  Then Frank Miller wrote this comic.  It was the first time that Batman became the Batman we know today. The comic also has a lot to tell.  It's about war, government, loyalty, so much to think about when reading this comic. I think you could read it several times and learn something new each time. You should read this if you are a Batman fan.  It was powerful but just not for me.  
                                                       2 out of 5


What a Godawful comic. This comic lost all the fun the first volumes of Superman/Wonder Woman.  In fact, this comic isn't a comic that should've been published.  It's a collection of issues from other comics.  So at the beginning of each comic there is a blue page describing everything the reader missed by not reading the other comics.  I'm not even sure if the people reading those comics (Action Comics, Batman/Superman) have to go and pick up this comic to finish those comics.  It was so confusing.  It's no wonder I have really no idea how Superman dies in the New 52. Apparently he's been through so much in JLA and The end of this comic is left up in there air and I have no idea what comic series it ends in.  Then there are two random stories at the end that have nothing to do with anything so there is another blue page telling the reader that. This is why people don't like crossovers.  Books like this where DC just throws a bunch of stuff in and sells it to make money.  I didn't really read the Superman stories in New 52 but I thought Superman/Wonder Woman was supposed to be a story on it's own. 
                                                        1 out of 5


I have enjoyed the Olympians series since issue one (Artemis is issue 9). I read that there are supposed to be 12 issues in all but couldn't find any information on what is going to be the next Olympian O'Connor will write about. The art style in the book impresses me like always.  The perfect drawing style for an ancient Greek comic book.  If you decide to read these comics be sure to check the back of the book as you read along.  There is a section that explains a little more history with each page.  There was one part of the book that .. well took me by surprise.  There's this part where three Gods pee on a bear.  It's apart of a myth so bare with me. The author writes that they "micturated" on the bear.  In the picture I thought for a moment that they masturbated on the bear and was so shocked.  I google micturated and it means to urinate. I would've figured it out when I turned the page but STILL! WHAT!  That picture! This book tells some good myths about Artemis and I enjoyed it so much.
5 out of 5



I just can't get enough of Harley Quinn!  Prior to reading about her in the New 52 I had only seen her on ... well Batman cartoons I guess.  I like how the comics really brings her personality out.  She's become one of my favorite characters. This comic was continuing Harley's groupie story. There was this group of like 10-12 girls who are hardcore fans of Harley and wanted to join her.  So they go off on an adventure and then disband. It was fun to see them all because they each dressed like Harley's different phases through the comic books. There is a really fun story about Catwoman, Harley, and Poison Ivy.  To see these girls have a fun story together (even though they are supposed to be these bad girls).  This story was really funny and had me smiling. Even Deadshot makes a cameo in this comic!  I have volume 5&6 on hold at the library and can't wait to read it. 
5 out of 5





This counts for 21 comics towards my 2017 Graphic Novel Reading Challenge



No comments:

Post a Comment