Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler-Review


I was very excited when my book club, The Young Adult Book Club, picked Bittersweet for our February book club pick!  Sarah Ockler is an author from Colorado, where I live, so I had been looking forward to read this.  She also agreed to do a Q&A with the group which can be found here.
Oh and did I mention this book is about cupcakes??  So I was inspired to go to my local cupcake shop!! 

Here is the goodreads description:  


Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been. So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done. It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last..


I love this book. It surprised me how much I love this book.. I was not expecting to like it since I don't love contemporary YA books. I love how the characters in this book are so real. I think everyone could just relate to them. Normal people with normal problems trying to have a normal life. I feel bad for the characters, I am happy for the characters, all kinds of emotions. The book made me want to be an ice skater. Unfortunately I grew up when roller blades were just starting to become popular so I only used roller skates. AND my balance is awful as I discovered last year when I tried to snowboard for the first time. But I always have wanted to go ice skating on an outdoor rink at night in the winter with all the lights around. The love triangle in this book was actually a good one. It wasn't even annoying!!

I love the cover on this book.. it is sooo sparkly in the perfect way.  It just looks sweet.  But I am a little confused as to why there is a cookie on the cover and not a cupcake?  The whole book is about Hudson working by baking cupcakes.. and then there is a cookie?  Confusing.  I also love how each chapter is named for a cupcake including the flavors!  I mean AMAZING! I love how Hudson uses making cupcakes like it's therapy.  Trying new flavors and spending every morning in her mom's shop would probably be relaxing most of the time.  The book really inspired me to go out and find a cupcake shop.  I didn't even know they existed until one popped up by the movie theater we go to a few years ago.  I went to go out and find that shop... but couldn't seem to find the location.  So I looked on the web and found a fantastic shop downtown here.  Cupcake Girls was everything I thought a diner like this would look like!  I tried Berrylicious, Miss American Pie, and Lulu Lemonade cupcakes while there!


They even have lunch there a couple times a week which I didn't know about so I didn't even ask (I will be going back to get lunch AND cupcakes soon!)




 I think cupcakes are fun... I am tired of the old cake in a box stuff.  I also really love how cupcakes are becoming more popular for weddings.  My sister had cupcakes at her wedding and it was really cute!



 I really liked this book and recommend it to everyone looking for a great winter read! I love when I read a book and it inspires me to do something I haven't done before.  I will for sure have delicious cupcakes again!

Also.. I just discovered through Jessica at I Read to Relax that the Huffington Post Books is going an amazing book series where they read a book and make cupcakes!!  This is the perfect time for this.. here you can see Life of Pie and Cupcakes  featured.  It looks amazing!! 

The crystal ball says:
Sun is shinning!!!  Great day to go outside and read this book.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read Bittersweet for forever and a day! I am glad you liked it. I know I will probly love it too.
    We had an awesome cupcake shop here in Bpt that I stalked weekly, they even let you write messages on their glass door and window and dry erase markers! They shut down the spot though. The cost was too much vs what they brought in :(
    Their main gig is out of a truck in New Haven! They had the BEST cupcakes!
    They had a board with cake flavors then one with icings and you got to mix and match, my faves were red velvet/cream cheese icing, lemon cake/vanilla & coconut icing, choc cake/ salted caramel icing, caramel cake/choc buttercreme, PB&J cupcake, apple cider cupcake, pumpkin spice cupcake, birthday cake cupcake, blue velvet cupcake, hummingbird cupcake, etc.
    I am looking for another cupcake place close by to stalk. Plus my place did mini cupcakes for 1 buck a pop.
    They also had a big bookcase and let you pick a book when bought cupcakes, I also brought books in too.

    I got an email about the life of Pi and cupcakes a few days ago. I need to look into that email to see what it says.

    Sorry for the cupcake rambling..lolz..Thanks for the review! Have a good day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love your cupcake talk! I am now addicted to the cupcakes and I only went there once. I am for sure stopping by there again!!

      Delete
  2. First I now want a cupcake..oh my. I am glad you enjoyed this and had to laugh when you said you aren't a fan of contemporary YA. This is one genre I tend to avoid in YA. I have had a lot of fun with New Adult. I think I might grab this and read it with my daughters (18-and 22) Your review was lovely and informative!

    ReplyDelete