Sunday, June 16, 2013

Under the Dome Summer Readalong- Update 2

So the Under The Dome readathon has begun for me... if you don't know about it and want to know more go here to learn more!  Hope you join all of us!!  It is super fun, though I haven't seen anywhere to post updates or to discuss what we are reading so far.  So I have been posting over at the Stephen King Fans group on goodreads.  Everyone is getting into some great discussions there.. especially about how much the show has changed the characters AND the ending (which I don't know yet since I am not that far). 

OK... so I am not on hour well I don't know.  Disk 11, about to start disk 12.  Yesterday was the second leg of my road trip and I am still listening to the audio book.  I am really getting used to audio books now.  The thing about a King audio book is that there are parts where I would've read really fast in the book to get past a crazy part, on the audio I have to sit there and listen.  Really imagine what is going on!

Those participating along are getting read for the show Under the Dome on CBS starting this week.  If you haven't seen the trailer... well here you go:



I am ready to get started watching.  I love Haven on SyFy based on the book Colorado Kid by Stephen King.  I think that show is fun to watch.

Now onto the book... so far I am really enjoying the character development.  All the stories tying together.  I love to see the difference between the villain characters and the heroes.  While listening to the audio I even get mad at some of the characters while listening to them talk and just want to warn other people.  Honestly I was expecting this book to be more like the Stand.. but surprisingly it's completely different. Not a lot of supernatural stuff in it.. well at least not yet. 

I wonder though if I would love this book so much if I wasn't listening to it.  I feel with an audio book you just can't get bored.  I mean... sometimes as I am listening I do think.. hummm this part is boring.  But I keep listening!  I think because of the animation in the narrator's voice I am intrigued.  When I am reading along with the voice in my head and I am bored then my voice in my head gets bored.  The story seems to be getting a little spooky.  I keep reading that readers didn't really like the ending.. or the explanation of the whole thing.  So I am a little nervous about getting to the end of the story!  Review to come!!



Under the Dome Review and Final post for readalong
Check out Update 1 on Under the Dome

14 comments:

  1. great review!! thanks for sharing this video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has been sitting on my shelf for about two years now. LOL! It's intimidating because of the size. Don't get me wrong--I love reading long books like that, but I've had so much going on with reading and writing the past couple of years it's just been put on the back-burner.
    I think I would be able to handle it better if I found it on audio. I've never tried audio books before but one of my friends loves them. I keep telling her I'll give them a try sometime. :)
    I really look forward to this show, too!

    <3
    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I love that I am listening to this book. It has really made the road trip I am on much more enjoyable. Plus this audio of this is 34 hours so I don't know how I could've done this audio without driving. The size of this book is daunting, but I read the Stand and that one was huge too. I am really enjoying this book!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the mini-series to begin. I would have loved to join this event but was booked solid! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I've never tackled Stephen King via audio book! I'm not sure how well I like this book just yet. Although the bit I read last night stuck it to a couple of villains, so I am feeling better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next King audio I want to listen to is one where he reads his own book! I forgot which one it is but I know he does at least one.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite audio books (and was my number one last year) was IT by Stephen King, which is phenomenally performed, so I am all about audio formats. However, I must say I love the print version right now! I know what you mean about wanting to warn other characters as a story progresses along in audio, and I am feeling it now in the print version, so hopefully you'd feel the same as well if you were reading versus listening to it.

    I love Haven on SyFy! LOVE IT! And I hate it when they don't do mid-season episodes as well. Argh.

    Thanks for joining the readalong!! We have one more post at the end of the ride in July and then I will be watching all my DVR'd episodes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are waiting to watch the show? I couldn't wait. I had to watch. If I hadn't finished the book I would've waited. Thanks again for hosting this. So fun!!

      Delete
  6. Nice post! I read it (luddite w/a book) and couldn't put it down. But interesting to think that audio books might not tire as fast as self-read.

    Someone else compared UTD to Haven, which I've never seen so might check out.

    Anyway, enjoyed your post. This #DomeAlong is so fun!

    Sarah @WordHits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to watch Haven. I am watching it and I haven't even read The Colorado Kid and it is really a good mystery show.

      Delete
  7. You won't want to stop listening by the time you get to the end and King just keeps coming up with surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure does!!! It is sooo much fun! Love all his books.

      Delete