Friday, July 19, 2013

Harry Potter Moment of the Week- Owls! Owls! Owls!


I am participating in Harry Potter moment of the week hosted by  Uncorked Thoughts .  Here is what we do:

This is a meme hosted Uncorked Thoughts.  The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! She will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free!  There is now a full list of the topics to come here.

Q. This weeks question is a freebee so I am going to talk about the owls of the Wizarding World.

 A. I love the idea of having owls as pets. First off I love owls. They are such magnificent animals!  Then I read the Harry Potter books and they bring these birds to a whole other level.  Pets who understand what you say, fly around and get your mail, I love it!  The Ministry of Magic formerly used owls for interdepartmental memos, but switched to enchanted paper airplanes because owls made too much mess with their droppings and shed feathers.

















One of my favorite owls is Ron's owl Pig!  So cute.  Of course also Hermes and Errol!  Can't forget those owls!












Would you pick an owl for your pet at Hogwarts?  Or would you pick a cat or toad?  I did pick a cat at Pottermore myself. Poor beautiful Headwig.. what an amazing owl.  I love how Harry grew up with him.  The snowy owl's lifespan in captivity is 28 years so this owl could've lived a very long time. 




9 comments:

  1. I also picked a cat on Pottermore but I think owls are more useful and less mean than cats lol (bad experience here).
    Pig was a fun owl and Errol a total weirdo haha :D Great topic!
    Did you heard about the surge of owl pets in real life after HP was released? Apparently a lot of people got owls and it was a huge problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why people think having an owl for a pet would be easy. They really are hunters and wild birds. Not really meant to be caged up.

      Delete
  2. I picked an owl :) absolutely love them in the books. I absolutely love Errol. So much sympathy for that poor bird! He was knackered! Hahah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you picked an owl. They are must more useful it seems then cats and toads. The owls you seem to be able to talk to and they understand. Unlike the toads and cats. Just look at Trevor!!

      Delete
  3. I love all of the owls in the books! Pig is one of my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owls just amaze me. Or like how Sirius doesn't use and owl when he is on the run he uses a tropical bird. Does that mean that people who live in tropical places don't use owls at all?????

      Delete
  4. I picked a cat at Pottermore as well, but that was just because there are already so many with the 3 or four owls available. If I was really in the Harry Potter Universe at Hogworts, I would certainly want an owl instead. I'm sure we'd be able to pick from a wide variety of gorgeous ones that fit our characters more. Excellent topic :D I know a ton of my friends adore owls, it's always been penguins and monkeys for me though. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven. I'm catching up on two weeks - here is my HPMOTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pick a cat if I was going to Hogwarts. I have two kitties of my own right now and I love them so much. So I know I would pick an orange tabby!

      Delete
  5. haha I picked a cat too on Pottermore cause I'm such a cat-lover but I agree that owls are truly wonderful animals as well. I love that all of JKR's animals have magical abilities, like being able to understand humans and stuff like that ♥ I simply adore Hedwig, snowy owls are gorgeous...but thinking about her makes me sad too, I wish she would have had a longer life with Harry. Anyways, GREAT choice :)

    ReplyDelete