Thursday, March 24, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue # 38


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I chat about Star Wars volume 1, The New Suicide Squad vol. 2,  Grayson vol 1, and Birds of Prey vol 2.


This comic was way better then the Leia comics. If you want to read some good stories about some of your favorite characters this is the comic for you. So this takes place after New Hope.  The crew is out to take down a weapon storage facility but Darth Vador shows up. All kinds of craziness happens.  Whenever I read the dialog I read it in the character voices from the movie.  I just can't help it. Boba Fett pops in.. because Vader hires him to figure out who the guy who with Obi Wan was (we know it was Luke). The artwork of Fett was great. Jabba and Vader have a meeting so it was nice to their  chemistry.  The writing is fantastic because it seamlessly goes between three groups while in the battle at the weapon storage facility. I'm king of glad I never read any of the Star Wars comics from Dark Horse because now instead of being cannon it's legend.  Comics can be so weird with their continuity. I read that the illustrator won't be around past 6 issues so we'll see what the artwork looks like for volume 2.  Some of the art in this was really just fantastic.

4 out of 5


I was really disappointed when the Nightwing series in the New 52 got canceled but they were bringing back Dick Grayson in this new spy comic.  Of course I had to go and pick it up from the library.  Apparently Nightwing was captured an unmasked and killed, though technically he wasn't but he kept the public thinking this. Now Grayson is a spy for a group called Spiral though reporting back everything he learns in Spiral secretly back to Batman. Let's be honest... I didn't get Spiral. They weren't explained enough.  They are out to uncover superheroes I guess?  I saw that on goodreads there is a lot of love for this comic.  Grayson still won't kill people though he's running around with a gun, look at the cover! I do have volume 2 sitting here waiting to be read, which I will continue. One part of the comic I liked was when some girls who are going to the school (apparently Spiral has a school too) were following Grayson around to see what he looked like.  So there was a neat little map of the campus in the comic.  I love maps in books so I really enjoyed that part.  

2 out of 5


I still don't know why we needed a "New" Suicide Squad when there was nothing wrong with the old one. This comic is about a rouge group from The League of Assassins who call themselves The League (wow) are trying to take over the world. So the newer Suicide Squad goes to get them.  The new squad is Harley Quinn, Reverse Flash, Deadshot, Black Manta, Captain Boomerang, and Parasite. Volume 2 has only one artist throughout instead of 8 but I remember liking the art in the first one so no problem there for me. One of my favorite characters from this squad Reverse Flash doesn't get enough time.. some of the more uninteresting characters get too much time in the comic.  There just wasn't a lot of character in it, more plot.  I would like to get to know some of the villains more. The next Suicide Squad member is announced at the end of the novel but they made appearance on the squad in the previous version so it's not a big surprise. 

3 out of 5




I always hate when people compare comics to the series before them, but I can't seem to stop doing that.  Suicide Squad I just did that to and now I am about to do that again.  This Birds of Prey is nothing like the previous New 52 one.  It is just not as good at all. There are no other reviews for it on goodreads or even Amazon! Probably because no one was looking forward to it. The comic basically only follows Black Canary and Oracle... they are like a two person team now.  What doesn't make sense to me though is that when did Batgirl become Oracle again?  In the New 52 she was able to walk again... so is DC scratching that now?  Which also doesn't make sense because there is a Batgirl comic out right now where she is walking around. Plus this comic also has Nightwing in it, and Grayson isn't the Nightwing anymore in the New 52 he is not Spiral and just Grayson.  Soooo where does this comic fit in the current world of DC?  I have no idea. The comic is very lengthy too.  I would just like the Birds of Prey to be a bigger team full of the supergirls we love.  

2 out of 5

This counts for 21 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment