Friday, June 3, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #42


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Olympians: ApolloHarley Quinn and Power Girl,  Red Lanterns Vol. 6, and Preacher Book 1.



I love the Olympians series by George O'Connor. Seriously these graphic novels are amazing and should be in all school libraries. This volume is told to us by the nine muses.  Each one giving us a glimpse into all the stories about Apollo. The stories are told from the perspective of the muse, so for example Thali and Melpomene telling a tale in drama form.  I wasn't familiar with, like how he was born. This book covers some of the darker sides of Apollo like when he gets in a dispute with a satyr over who is better at music and of course the satyr loses and gets.. well skinned.  I was a little bothered at time from the muses having a few sections of illustrated interpretive dance. What was going on there?  I can't believe that there are now 8 of these graphic novels out. It looks like there is only one more book coming out in this series (in 2017).  I am so sad about that! Apollo is quite the character and I would love to read more about him.  
5 out of 5


Ever since I started reading Harley Quinn in the new 52 I'm kind of obsessed with her. I never liked her before when she had on that one outfit with the bells on that hat or whatever. So in the last issue of Harley Quinn she teams up with Power Girl because Power Girl has amnesia and Quinn convinces her that they are a team.  I really love these two together.  Power Girl so serious and Harley Quinn goofy as ever. This comic reminds me of one of those quick reads or summer movies.  It's supposed to be an in-between comic, like a bunch of side-stories. I really do love the art in this series too.  I mean... just look at that cover! This comic has a lot of naughty in it... and by that I mean sex naughty.  They end up going to this world where the buildings are shaped like penis'. The only part I didn't like was this part where they were high on drugs.  I always hate that part in books/movies/ I just never get it.  Really though this is fun!

4 out of 5


I have really liked the Red Lantern series but I felt this comic was all over the place.  No cohesive story throughout.  It's a crossover issue and I can't stand that.  Most Red Lanterns are dead.... so a new bad guy pops up. Turns out that is a crossover with New Gods. So we get a whole section about Guy and Simon Baz go and meet these New Gods and then that story just ends... which I guess continues in that new comic. Then... the story moves on to Guy sucking all this rage from all the people of the earth.  He finds some kind of monster baby.  The baby pretty much beats up Guy... it was odd.  Then Guy lets go of his epic anger and puts it back into the Earth.  And..... story over.  Then a Future's End issues pops in.  Which kind of gives Guy a good ending after all but still it came out of no where.  He is collecting all the red rings and now has a blue on of his own instead of read.  Really this is a disappointing ending to the Red Lantern New 52.  It's one of the series that had strong writing to me and this one really falls flat.
2 out of 5 

A friend of mine many moons ago told me about this comic.  I was reading so many things at the time I never made room for it.  But then the show was announced and aired so I really wanted to read this before I watched it.  I found out that this series is finished too so that is good, I should be able to fly right through it.  The first volume was quite interesting.  Like nothing I've read before in comics. The comic is not for kids.  Lot's of violence, swearing, and maybe some people will be offended by the religious topics in the comic. Basically and angel and demon have a relationship and have a child.  This upsets God so he just flat out quits.  The child or "Genesis" ends up going to Earth and possessing Jesse Custer, also called Preacher.  We get to meet an unlikely cast of characters.  First up is Tulip who seems to have gotten herself into a lot of trouble and runs into a guy named Cassidy who helps her escape whatever trouble she's in. Most of this comic though is about Jesse's origin story which is just intense. I only half love the art... I would give that a 3 out of 5.  Whoever draws the covers does not draw the inside pages.  I have volume 2 already from the library and can't wait to keep reading.  4 out of 5

This counts for 38 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment